When I was pregnant I scoured the internet for lists, lists, lists. I craved to find the one-all be-all checklist for what I would need. Turns out there isn’t a simple answer to such a complicated question. When my sister was pregnant she turned to me with the very same question. What started out to be a quick email turned into a series of looong, detailed lists with links, explanations, recommendations, and warnings.
Being a list lover a tip giver I thought it would be fun to share some bits on this blog now and then. So, without further ado…
2. Antibacterial wipes: You’re with a kid, ’nuff said. Things can get pretty gross…
3. Diapers: Derrrr, diaper bag
4. Hand sanitizer: Again with the clean! Yes, it’s a must.
5. Changing pad: I use this everywhere, public changing tables, in the back of the car, on the grass at the park, downstairs when I’m lazy… Mine came with this tote I keep in the car but there are some super cute ones on Etsy.
6. Change of clothes: If you have a newborn, a baby prone to drooling (teething) or a boy - pack more than one. I should pack more than one – we’ve left more than one restaurant pant-less.
7. First aid kit: I picked up this handy mini in the travel section at Target. The case is super slim and had room for several extra bandaids to be stuffed inside.
8. Snacks: Now who doesn’t need a snack in their pocket? I can’t recommend these enough! Healthy and uber-packable. I also haven’t met kid yet who doesn’t love them.
9. Sunscreen: I keep it on me at all times. British skin, what can I say?
10. Face wipes: Loving these right now. They are straight saline so they are nice and mild, but do the trick.
11. Tissue: How cute are these?
12: Baggies: Loving the no-odor action!
13: Extra binky: If your kid uses one, believe me you don’t want to be stuck without one. I keep mine in a plastic case for sanitary reasons and also because it is easier to find.
14. Diaper cream: This one is great and comes in a small, easily portable tube.
16. Baby wipes: How many kind of wipes does one bag need? A lot, apparently. Invest in a case. It’s nicer for mommy earth. Look at this one!
Keep in mind this is a list for my 1 1/2 year old girl. The contents of my bag have varied considerably over the past 18 months.
Can you believe all 17 items fit so nicely?
And what about the BAG?
This is a very personal choice. Consider what you like in a purse and expand this on a larger scale. I like a bag I can reach down into without taking off my shoulder. I like LOTS of pockets and compartments and require external pockets that are easy to access.
Mine fit the bill for me because it had everything above, was super cute and was somewhat gender-neutral enough that I wouldn’t feel bad for making my husband carry. Plus, it got it on CLEARANCE. What, what?! Now Jonathan Adler is designing the very same brand! Maybe it’s time for a trade-up (wink wink).